Bacon Fat Caramels (AIP, Paleo)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut cream (separated from cocont milk by placing can in the refrigerator overnight)
- 1 tbsp bacon fat
- 1 1/2 cups coconut nectar
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- Candy thermometer
- Grease a medium sized bowl with the coconut oil and place in the frige.
- Meanwhile, scoop out the cocont cream from your coconut milk and place in a mediumn-large pot.
- Add the coconut nectar and bacon fat to the pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, allow candy to simmer until it reaches 280F, measured with a candy thermometer.
- Once it reaches 280F, remove it from the heat and stir in the baking soda. The caramel should thicken up. Pour the mixtre into your greased bowl that was waiting in the fridge.
- Once cool eough to handle, work the candy by stretching into ropes and cutting into desired sized.
- Wrap the caramels in wax paper and store in the refrigerator.