Hamantaschen with Cherry Kombucha Filling (AIP, Paleo)
Makes: 20 Hamantaschen
- 1 1/2 cups Japanese sweet potato
- 2 tbsp cassava flour
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup AIP Cherry Kombucha Jam or jam of your choice
- Parchment paper
- Steam, boil, bake, or microwave sweet potato until soft. (You can do this ahead of time and cool them overnight in the fridge so that your dough takes less time to cool). Discard the peel and mash in a bowl. Set aside.
- Add cassava flour, coconut oil, salt, and cinnamon to mashed sweet potato and combine until smooth.
- Press out the dough onto a piece of parchment paper, to about 1/4th of an inch in thickness. Pop in the freezer for about 15 minutes.
- Take the dough out of the freezer and with a knife cut out an even number of triangles. Set aside half of the traingles. Cut out mini traingle "windows" from the centers of the other half.
- If your dough has become too warm to work with, pop it back in the freezer for a bit. If not, scoop out a small spoonful of jam in the centers of each of your traingles. Top each one with a traingle that from which you made a "window". Make sure to seal the edges. *Note: I used this method my attempt at making AIP Hamantaschen, but for a simpler approach, see my AIP Hamantaschen with "Chocolate" Carob Filling recipe. I learned that this dough can most definitely stand up to the typical circle cut-out method.
- Bake at 350F for 20-25 min, until bottoms are golden and edges are crispy.